Sorry it has taken me so long this time to get around to posting the results. I was hoping for a handful of more entries to this one, but for the three I received, very nice work! Listed below are the entries I received, in the order I received them.
Note from Alex:
I tried to put accent on a car and on alantern, so cropped the original RAW file for this purpose.During processing the file I just used Calvin Hollywood’s technique + played a little bit with contrast and color.Tools:- Photoshop- Color Efex Pro
Capture one 7
I have made these 2 variants, color and B&N (nothing special I’m sorry…)
Note from Brett:
1: Selectively sharpened elements in the image using part of Lindsay Adler’s “frequency separation” technique to sharpen the high frequency elements (for 16-bit images).
Here are the steps:
- -make 2 duplicate layers(one labeled low frequency, then one labeled high frequency)
- -hide high frequency layer
- -low frequency layer: Gaussian Blur (4.8 radius)
2: Go to Image menu-> Apply Image-> Layer:merged-> Invert-> Blending: Add-> Scale:2
(you should see a 50% grey image with faint outlines from the original image showing through)
- -Blend Mode for the high frequency layer: Linear Light (do it in this order or Linear Light will give you a different effect)
- -hide low frequency layer (now you should have a sharpened image).
3:layer mask, paint in street, all signs, most camera facing elements that stand out against background (front of barrier, signs, street lamp, brick wall by van, all windows, apartment building at end of alley.
4: Viveza 2
- -darken sky left, brighten sky right
- -boost the structure of the clouds
- -brighten and boost structure of the front edge of the baricade, apartment building
- -saturate light flare and add structure
- -Brighten church sign
5: Color Efex Pro 2
(started with a preset I made – “Alien Landscape “)
- -high key: (street ad bottom excluded) lighten image, slight “glow” especially for light flare
- -Detail extractor: for selected elements (signs, camera facing elements)
- -Indian Summer: greenish tint on bluilding to red tints
- -Infrared Film: darken image, slight “infrared” discoloration
- -Monday Morning: further discoloration of image, darkening, bluish tint, “muddying” of details
- -Polariod Transfer: (slight surreal “cartoonization”
- -Midnight: (blur, final darkening of colors)
6: gradient mask (barrier and street go from real to “surreal” the farther you get into the image)
- -Lit windows masked out each brush stroke @ 14% opacity untill the look is right.
7:Alien Skin Snap Art 3
- -Pointillism: (Seurat)
- -background: small brush size, high photorealism, medium paint coverage, high paint thickness, medium stroke length & color variation.
- -Canvas: Transparent, Lighting: cool*
8: Gradient Mask “Dissolve” blend mode (@18% opacity) angled to the left to blend in pointillist sky with real sky and clouds to right. chimney, roof, and street light masked out. (I originally intended to have the sky look painted in, but the fake star look was a bit more intriguing, and I think it helps to reel in the strangeness a bit).
I plan to get the RAW for January up this week for you.