Deadline: Friday May 11, 2012
Again, sorry for the very late post. Because of it, I am moving the deadline for this one out a week. This is a shot of my little girl, Ashley. It was taken at ISO 400 with my D700 mounted with a Carl Zeiss 1.4/85 @ f/4.8. I figure there are a lot of elements to work with here – from the bright light to the shadows to the details in her painting. You may remember my take on this last year where I gave you step-by-step on how I did a cross-process of this. I am sure I will do something different this time. How about you?
Once you have completed your edits, email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will post them all at the end of the week. Please give a quick overview of what you did to make the edit so we can share with the other photographers. Send to me as a JPG with the longest edge being 2000px. Also, please let me know the software you are using for your edits. Really helps people see what tools out there can handle what kinds of edits.
The ZIP file is 14MB in size and is a Nikon RAW image. If you have Photoshop, there should be no issue opening it.
Click here to download the Nikon D700 NEF RAW file (14 MB zipped)
At long last (sorry for the delay) I have results in from the Week 5 RAW Edit Challenge. I am sorry this is a few days late – life just got busy for the last week! But as promised (and with limited commentary) are your results, thank you!
Sorry I don’t know how to PS it at all.
In ACR I just adjusted a little angle to make the building in the background vertical. Then I imported to CS4 and kick up a little higher in curve. Then, I don’t know what I can do next.
Personally I like some bright pics. No idea if it is good or not.
This was a fun one – did not want to do too much to such a beautiful shot.Opened in PS CS5.1 – As Shot – With Lens correction enabledDuped layer – converted to B&W using Red FilterRan Diffuse Glow at 10% OpacityChanged Layer to Luminosity and flattenedCropped, maintaining aspect ratio and rotated to get boat/water horizontalDesaturated background slightlyDodged Shadows under eyes, nose and mouthClone/removed strap from umbrellaNoticing how open the Week 3 edit was (did not look that way on my monitor) curved some midtone weight into imageSpot cloned skin and added 20% Vibrance to Model and UmbrellaWas going to take out the flyaway hairs – but I like them so they stayed…
Curves in PS, changed the dress and brolly around, straightened horizon. Lightened eyes and removed orange bokeh ball in LR. Enjoy :)
For this week’s raw challenge, I have two very similar edits. I didn’t g into any heavy editing. My philosophy was that image can be very nice with very little edit. So here they are:
Background: turned to BW with a bit of color editing to darken some of the details in the background
Foreground: saved the umbrella and the dress and erased everything else
quite simple and effective for details emphasizing
basically i just took version 1 and edited background in following manner:
– played with curves to get the vintage effect (vintage effect tutorial can be found anywhere on the internet)
– hue and saturation > desaturated a bit and tinted (not sure for the color, found something between orange and yellow, the one best suiting for my taste) :)
added vignetting effect and a bit of spotlight in the center
and basically it is it :))
This is my typical edit of double-raw import, skin tone cleaning and hue adjustment.
I was asked in an email this week to show the power of ACR7 with the new Process Version (PV) 2012 engine. The only edits here are to the center “slice” using nothing but ACR7′s sliders for temp, exposure, contrast, highlights and shadows. As you can see, it does an amazing job recovering shadow details – much better than ACR6 (PV 2010) was able to do. It retains a ton of depth and detail which ACR6 didn’t do so well with (ACR6 made it very flat). You can see the original RAW here.
Well, that’s it for today.